Posted Aug 11
Wish this was true, but it’s yet another Financial Myth. You can read the whole article here, or, my abridged version below.
It’s good to know the 5 things IRS will not do:
- Angrily demand immediate payment over the phone, nor will the agency call about taxes owed without first having mailed you a bill.
- Threaten to bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have you arrested for not paying.
- Demand that you pay taxes without giving you the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe.
- Require you to use a specific payment method for your taxes, such as a prepaid debit card.
- Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
If someone attempts to fool you in this manner, immediately turn them in at http://apps.irs.gov/app/scripts/exit.jsp?dest=https://www.treasury.gov/tigta/contact_report_scam.shtml
Your Constructive Comments are Welcome!